BackPro Chiropractic & Nutrition, P.C.
3141 E. Beardsley Road Suite 125 Phoenix, AZ 85050 (602-992-4444)
Losing weight is both simple and complex. Daily, and shortly after eating, thousands of people have moments of clarity and realize they are overweight and feel out of control. They make fleeting conscious decisions to diet, lose weight, improve their appearances, and lower their body mass index (bmi). Looking for a quick fix, some resort to using herbal stimulants and consider liposuction, gastric bypass and other desperate surgical means for change.
Unfortunately, human nature allows our logical brains to know right from wrong and make repetitive, emotionally driven, eating mistakes that cause bulging waistlines. Recently it has become much easier to research different methods of weight loss and educate yourself about how to shed unwanted pounds.
Most people fail miserably because their discontent with the state of their health and unhappiness with the way they look is a transient conscious thought. Knowing how to lose weight comprises little of your challenge. I feel, the majority of the work requires you to reprogram your subconscious mind. Daily lifestyle changes are the key to keeping your subconscious mind motivated and focused on the process of achieving your fat burning goals. Consistent behavior modification is essential.
If you have experienced rapid weight gain of more than 30 lbs. in the past 6 months, then numerous illnesses such as cancer, thyroid disease, and diabetes need to be ruled out . Once you have established a clean bill of health you are ready to implement the following lifestyle changes:
1. Improve your metabolic rate by increasing muscle mass. This will enable increased calorie burning even when you are sleeping. Work in up to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise and weight training 5 days each week. If you have the financial means, hire a certified personal trainer.
2. Manage your stress. Both emotional stress and fatigue from poor sleep quality will trigger estrogen like effects and stress hormones that cause weight gain.
3. Redirect your subconscious mind by researching and reading books on behavior modification and addiction daily. Break your addictions to caffeine, salt, alcohol, and sugar!
4. Identify and confront people in your life that sabotage your goals such as co-workers, family members, etc.
5. Reaffirm your commitment to change your behavior by including others and telling everyone you know about your goals and successes.
6. Hold yourself accountable by journaling your efforts daily. Joining a support group where you weigh in weekly is very effective. Make sure you have realistic goals with deadlines.
7. Pay attention to food labeling and raise your awareness to what you are putting in your body.
8. Select the meal you eat based on it’s nutrient value. Change your feeling about food and view it as an obstacle that is keeping you overweight. Don’t celebrate with food or use it as a reward after a good workout. Don’t try to cheer yourself up with deserts after a trying day.
9. Manage healthy hormone levels by controlling your blood sugar levels:
a. Limit calorie intake to 1200 to 1500 kcal. each day.
b. Pick up reference books about the “body mass index” and “glycemic index” and read 15 minutes each day. This food rating will help you select foods that slowly change your blood sugar levels.
c. Eat 6 small 200 kcal. meals each day and have the discipline to eat at least every 3 hours while never skipping meals.
d. Plan meals a day in advance. We all make poor food choices when our blood sugar levels fall causing us to feel tired and hungry. Dinner needs to be your smallest meal. Avoid eating out!
e. Minimize salt and alcoholic beverages. Eliminate drinks and foods that spike blood sugar levels then cause low blood sugar crashes such as those containing white flour and white sugar.
f. Eat whole fruits and vegetables. Natural fiber helps hold sugars and delays their release into your blood stream.
g. Combine some protein with each meal. Whey protein shakes are ideal additions to otherwise all carbohydrate meals.
Need help? Numerous nutritional products can help your compliance with the above guidelines. I have personally used GMP certified Metagenics brand products for more than 20 years. Unipro Perfect Protein, UltraClear Plus, UltraMeal, Multigenics, and EPA oils are my favorites-Dr. Richard Guarino, D.C.
Please click on the Metagenics link for product specifics and call our office at (602) 992-4444 when you are ready for change! We will be happy to assist with your product order. Good luck!